|Type||Heavy Equipment Carrier|
- Type: Hypersonic Transporter
- Designer: Brains
- Built: 2065
- Length: 249 feet
- Wing span: 180 feet
- Height: 60 feet
- Unladen: 406 tons
- Pay load: 100 tons
- Power source: Atomic fusion reactor
- Engines: 2 variable-cycle gas turbine engines and 4 vertical take-off fan jets.
- Max altitude 100,000 feet
- Max Speed: Mach 7 (5,000mph)
- Cruising speed: 2,000mph
- Range: Unlimited
Crew and AccommodationEdit
- Pilot: Virgil Tracy
- Back-up crew Alan, Gordon,John, Brains and Tin-Tin.
- Hangar: Behind false rock face below Cliff House
- Launch Pad Tilted platform at end of runway
- Landing: Horizontal
- Four-person heat-proof rescue cage.
- Electro-magnetic grabs.
- Hauser cable rocket launcher.
Thunderbird 2 is a two part craft, consisting of a main superstructure and a pod that when complete gives it full integrity and stability.
The frame which incorperates; the cockpit, wings, fuel, stilts, and at the rear are the engines and spoiler to aid lift and stability. The craft is capable of vertical take-off and landing and therefore requires no runway. Hydraulic stilts enable the craft to lift clear of the pods.
A pod, which is the hold of the ship, also has undercarriage which enables the aircraft to reach the launch pad, and once locked into position, becomes integral with the main body. Pods have a vast capacity for storing the rescue equipment and machines. They are stored in the same hangar ready for use and easy loading.
Hangar and Launch RampEdit
Thunderbird 2 is kept ready for action on Tracy Island in a hangar hidden behind a false rock face. After lowering from its stilts onto the pod selected for the mission; the craft then is propelled to the launch pad which tilts enabling the craft to be deployed.
- All episodes except The Imposters and all films.
- Thunderbird 2 had only a brief appearance in Terror In New York City as it was disabled in the opening scenes.
- In the Simpsons episode 'In Marge we trust', during the Mr. Sparkle commercial, a silver Thunderbird 2 can be seen in the background amongst the toys.
Thunderbird 2 on Thunderbirds wiki: http://thunderbirds.wikia.com/wiki/Thunderbird_2